PONDY OXIDES & CHEMICALS LTD.
We at POCL understand the importance of recycling and protecting our planets natural resources.
Metals are manufactured from natural resources produced from processing mined minerals, which are non-renewable. The rate at which these resources are exploited they will run out soon and cannot be replenished. The advantage of recycling metals is that they do not lose and of their important properties when they are recycled.
The dumping of metallic waste has a huge environmental impact due to the dispersal and contamination of certain metallic substances from the waste. Recovering these metals from the waste stream is vital in environmental protection and also a valuable resource.
Recycling also contributes to energy conservation and preservation of the environment. For example the approximate energy conserved in recycling the following metals as against manufacturing from their ores.
General Benefits of Recycling
- Reduces the amount of waste sent to landfills and incinerators;
- Conserves natural resources such as timber, water, and minerals;
- Prevents pollution by reducing the need to collect new raw materials;
- Saves energy;
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global climate change;
- Helps sustain the environment for future generations;
- Helps create new well-paying jobs in the recycling and manufacturing industries.
Process of Recycling
After collection, recyclables are sent to a recovery facility to be sorted, cleaned, and processed into materials that can be used in manufacturing. Recyclables are bought and sold just like raw materials would be, and prices go up and down depending on supply and demand.
More and more of today's products are being manufactured with recycled content. Common household items that contain recycled materials include:
- Newspapers and Paper Towels;
- Aluminium, Plastic, and Glass Softdrink Containers;
- Steel Cans and Plastic Laundry Detergent Bottles.
Recycled materials are also used in new ways such as recovered glass in asphalt to pave roads or recovered plastic in carpeting and park benches.
Closing The Loop:
By buying new products made from recycled materials you help to close the recycling loop. There are thousands of products that contain recycled content. When you go shopping, look for:
- Products that can be easily recycled, and
- Products that contain recycled content.
Here are some of the terms used:
- Recycled-content product. This means the product was manufactured with recycled materials, either collected from a recycling program or from waste recovered during the normal manufacturing process. Sometimes the label will tell you how much of the content was from recycled materials.
- Postconsumer content. This is very similar to recycled content, but the material comes only from recyclables collected from consumers or businesses through a recycling program.
- Recyclable product. These are products that can be collected, processed and manufactured into new products after they have been used. These products do not necessarily contain recycled materials. Remember not all kinds of recyclables may be collected in your community so be sure to check with your local recycling program before you buy.
Some of the common products you can find that can be made with recycled content include:
- Aluminium Cans
- Car Bumpers
- Cereal Boxes
- Comic Books
- Egg Cartons
- Glass Containers
- Laundry Detergent Bottles
- Motor Oil
- Paper Towels
- Steel Products
- Trash Bags